- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 250g haloumi, coarsely grated
- 2 zucchini, ends trimmed, coarsely grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Olive oil, to shallow-fry
- 200g green beans, topped
- 1 x 350g ctn bought tabouli
- 120g (1/2 cup) bought eggplant dip
- Step 1Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the egg and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Use a balloon whisk to gently combine, adding a little more water if necessary, until a smooth batter forms. Add the haloumi, zucchini and dill, and stir to combine. Season with pepper.
- Step 2Add enough oil to a large frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Drop 1/3-cup quantities of the mixture into the pan and cook for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel.
- Step 3Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the tabouli and stir to combine.
- Step 4Divide the tabouli mixture and zucchini fritters among serving plates. Top the fritters with a dollop of the eggplant dip to serve.
- Low carb
1) Haloumi, ricotta and zucchini filo roulade: Omit flour, baking powder, egg, oil and beans. Preheat oven to 200C. Add 250g ricotta to the mixture in step 1. Spray 6 filo sheets with olive oil spray and place in a stack. Place the mixture along 1 long side. Roll up to enclose the filling. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Slice and serve with tabouli and eggplant dip.
2) Lamb fillets with feta, beans and tomato ragout: Omit flour, baking powder, egg, zucchini and tabouli. Replace haloumi with 250g feta. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 garlic cloves, crushed, and cook for 1 minute or until soft. Add 375ml (11/2 cups) passata (tomato pasta sauce) and 125ml (1/2 cup) water. Cook for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Stir in dill. Sprinkle with feta. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 600g lamb fillets and cook for 4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Serve with passata mixture, eggplant dip and toasted Turkish bread.
3) Greek-style veal parmigiana with zucchini: Omit baking powder, beans, tabouli and eggplant dip. Replace haloumi with 250g feta. Omit step 1. Place flour and 140g (2 cups) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread) on separate plates. Place egg in a bowl. Dip 4 veal scallopine in flour. Shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs to coat. In step 2, cook veal for 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a baking tray. Pour over 1 x 575ml Primavera Sauce. Crumble over feta. Bake for 10 minutes. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in dill. Serve with veal.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste