- 2 1/2 cups (500g) yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek (white part only), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 small carrots, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 thyme sprigs, plus extra leaves to serve
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt-reduced chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds), lightly toasted
- Step 1Place the split peas in a large saucepan and pour over 1.5 litres (6 cups) boiling water. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 minutes until half-cooked.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat the oil in another large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, leek, garlic, carrot and thyme and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens.
- Step 3Drain the split peas and add to the vegetables with the stock and 3 cups (750ml) water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer rapidly for 20 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs, cool slightly, then puree using a stick blender. Season to taste. Serve the soup scattered with pepitas, sunflower seeds and extra thyme leaves.
- High fibre
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kate Nichols
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au