- 60ml (1/4 cup) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 500g trimmed beef rump steak, thinly sliced into long strips
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, sliced
- 200g green beans, trimmed, sliced
- 150g (2 cups) cooked brown rice
- 20g pickled ginger
- 75g baby spinach leaves
- 1 red onion, cut into 2cm pieces
- Step 1Combine 2 tablespoons of the soy, wasabi, garlic, half the mirin and sesame oil in a large glass or ceramic dish. Add the beef strips and stir to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour to marinate.
- Step 2Blanch the asparagus and beans in ￼￼￼a saucepan of boiling water until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain well. Place the vegetables, rice, pickled ginger, baby spinach and remaining soy sauce and mirin in a large bowl. Gently toss to combine.
- Step 3Thread the strips of meat and the onion alternately onto 8 metal or soaked bamboo skewers. Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue on high. Cook the skewers for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly charred. Arrange on top of the rice salad.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Pickled ginger is available from the Asian section of most supermarkets and adds a fresh zing to this meal. Once opened, keep it in the fridge.
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste.com.au