- 750ml (3 cups) boiling water
- 270g (1 1/3 cups) long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (about 400g) lamb backstraps
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut in half diagonally
- 1 red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thickly sliced
- 350g butternut pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 200g cap mushrooms, thickly sliced
- Step 1Place water in a saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45-50 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- Step 2Place the basil, garlic and 60ml (1/4 cup) of the oil in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add the lemon juice and process until just combined. Transfer to a jug. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill pan on medium. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Cook on preheated grill for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Place the asparagus, capsicum, pumpkin and mushroom in a bowl. Drizzle with the remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook on grill, turning occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add the chargrilled vegetables to the rice and gently toss to combine.
- Step 4Thinly slice lamb across the grain. Divide rice salad among bowls. Top with lamb and drizzle with basil dressing to serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kerrie Sun
- Image credit: Chris Court
- Publication: Australian Good Taste