- 8 baby beetroot
- 1 pomegranate*, halved
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly, warmed gently
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar*
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 duck breast fillets*
- 100g thin green beans, blanched
- 1 cup micro salad leaves* (or wild rocket)
- 150g marinated feta, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- Step 1Cook beetroot in boiling water (or steam), for 20 minutes or until tender. Peel and quarter when cool enough to handle, then set aside.
- Step 2Gently press each pomegranate half over a juicer to extract juice and loosen seeds. Place the juice in a bowl, then using the sharp tip of a knife, remove the seeds and add to the bowl. Place warmed jelly in a bowl and whisk in oil, vinegar, mustard and 2 tablespoons pomegranate juice. Season, then set aside.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 190°C. Heat an ovenproof non-stick frypan on medium-low heat.
- Step 4Season duck and cook for 6-8 minutes, skinside down, until most of the fat has rendered and skin is crisp. Turn, cook for 30 seconds, then transfer pan to oven and cook for a further 5 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest.
- Step 5Place beets, beans, leaves, feta and nuts in a bowl. Toss gently with 3 tablespoons dressing. Pile onto plates. Thinly slice duck and add to salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds to serve.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
* Pomegranates and micro salad leaves are from selected greengrocers. Sherry vinegar is from delis. Duck breasts are from poultry shops and selected butchers.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au