- 800g kipfler potatoes, (see note) peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 dried chorizo sausages, (see note) cut into 5mm-thick slices
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 200g baby spinach
Maple syrup dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Step 1To make dressing, place all ingredients in a screw-top jar and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Seal jar and shake well to combine. Makes 125ml (1/2 cup).
- Step 2Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to the boil over medium heat and cook for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside to dry completely.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened and just starting to colour. Add garlic, then cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Add chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until chorizo is slightly crisp around edges.
- Step 4Meanwhile, cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 5 minutes for soft-boiled (7 minutes for hard-boiled). Drain, refresh in iced water, then drain again. Peel while still warm and set aside.
- Step 5Remove pan with chorizo from heat, add spinach and gently toss until just starting to wilt from the heat of the pan. Add potatoes and half the dressing, then toss to combine.
- Step 6Spoon salad onto a platter or divide among plates. Tear eggs in half and place over salad. Drizzle with remaining dressing and season to serve.
If you can’t find kipflers, use chat potatoes instead. Leaving them to dry well means they’ll soak up more of the dressing.
Dried chorizo is from the deli section of supermarkets.
- Author: Kate Bracks
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste.com.au