- 300g (1 1/2 cups) jasmine rice
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g snow peas, trimmed, cut into thirds diagonally
- 115g pkt fresh baby corn, cut into thirds diagonally
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water, extra
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- White pepper
- 4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- Step 1Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place the rice and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid or foil and cook for 12 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Use a fork to separate the grains. Spread the rice over a baking tray and set aside to cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to chill.
- Step 2Combine the soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Set aside until required.
- Step 3Heat peanut oil in a non-stick wok over high heat. Stir-fry the garlic for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add snow peas, baby corn and carrot and toss to combine. Add the extra water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender crisp and the liquid has evaporated. Add the rice and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 4 minutes or until heated through.
- Step 4Make a well in the centre and add the egg. Cook, stirring the egg, for 30 seconds or until the egg starts to cook. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until the egg and rice mixture are combined. Add the soy sauce mixture and toss to combine. Season with white pepper. Stir in the shallot. Divide among serving bowls.
- High carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
Our fried rice is loaded with crunchy vegies and soft pieces of tasty egg.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Australian Good Taste