Author Notes: Dal (lentil soup), millions of people eat each day in India and it is a main dish in almost every meal they make. It accompanies rice, rotis and even bread at times. This recipe is a take at the traditional way to make Dal and is super quick. All you need to do is add ingredients into the boiled lentil and you are ready with a bowl of piping hot lentil soup. —Shubho Dutta
cloves of garlic
sugar to taste
salt to taste
- • Put about 2 – 3 TBS of oil in the pot and let it heat.
- • Add the cumin, chilli, garlic and chopped onions.
- • Fry the onions on a good heat for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- • Add the turmeric powder and tinned tomatoes.
- • Stir it and then cover it. Let it cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- • Cut the courgette anyway you want. It goes for the paprika as well.
- Add the vegetable towards the end so that they don’t melt but remain crunchy.
- • Add the dal (lentil) and mix it well. Add about 3 – 4 cups of boiling water.
- • Add 1 ½ TS of brown sugar and about 1 TS of salt.
- • Optional – you can add 1 or 2 vegetable stalk at this stage.
- • Add the chopped vegetables and the spinach leaves.
- • Stir it and let it cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- • Put about two tablespoon of ketchup. Mix it nicely.
- • Serve it with a garnishing of coriander leaves.
Photo by Shubho Dutta