- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 125g 97% fat-free bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 6 cups Massel beef style liquid stock
- 400g can diced roma tomatoes
- 1/3 cup dried risoni pasta
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bacon and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add carrot, parsnip, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Step 2Add stock and tomatoes. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Step 3Stir in risoni. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until risoni is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir through parsley. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve.
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Note: This soup is best made on the day of serving. If making ahead, cook the risoni pasta separately and stir into the soup just before serving.
- Author: Annette Forrest
- Image credit: Louise Lister
- Publication: Super Food Ideas