Author Notes: This palak paneer is probably quite different to what you’ve seen and eaten. My take on the Indian classic is light, fresh and vibrant – the perfect food to enjoy on a hot summer’s day. The umami and saltiness of the marinade meets the sweetness of the red onion and cherry tomatoes. —Alannah | Kale Mary
grams organic, non-GMO tofu, sliced into rectangles
4 + 2-3
tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, divided
tablespoon garlic powder
cup filtered water
red onion, halved and sliced
grams baby spinach
tablespoons coconut milk
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place the tofu in a shallow bowl and add 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt and water. Mix until combined well and tofu is coated.
- Place the tofu on a greased oven tray. Add the red onion and cherry tomatoes, and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove tray from the oven and add baby spinach to the pan. Don’t mix it through yet as it will wilt down in the oven.
- After 10 more minutes of cooking time, remove tray and mix everything around. Gently push your spoon on the tomatoes – they should be soft enough that their juices ooze out.
- Drizzle the coconut oil onto the pan and the ingredients, then sprinkle additional 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes and return the pan to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve atop some fresh spinach on a bed of steamed basmati rice.
Photo by Alannah | Kale Mary