- 2 (320g each) small eggplant, halved lengthways
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g veal mince
- 1 small red capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 680g jar tomato passata
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Using a teaspoon, remove the flesh from the eggplant halves, leaving a 1cm-thick border. Finely chop eggplant flesh and reserve. Place eggplant halves in a medium roasting pan. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add capsicum and reserved eggplant. Cook, stirring, for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in currants and parsley.
- Step 3Remove eggplant from pan. Spoon mince mixture into eggplant. Pour passata into roasting pan. Arrange eggplant on top.
- Step 4Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a bowl. Sprinkle over mince mixture. Drizzle with remaining oil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tops are golden and eggplant is tender. Serve.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Chris L Jones
- Publication: Super Food Ideas