- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 6 egg yolks
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- Step 1Place a shallow metal container or loaf pan in the freezer to chill. Place the milk, cream and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 2Meanwhile, use a balloon whisk to beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted. Gradually whisk in the cream mixture.
- Step 3Place in a clean saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a flat-edged wooden spoon, for 15 minutes or until the custard coats the back of the spoon – test with your finger.
- Step 4Transfer the mixture to a heatproof bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin forming. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool then place in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
- Step 5Pour the mixture into the chilled container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 6 hours or until firm but still slightly soft in the centre. Use a metal spoon to roughly break up the gelato. Transfer the gelato to a food processor (bottom left) and process until smooth. Place the gelato back in the metal container. Cover with foil and freeze overnight or until firm
Allow 2 hours chilling time.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste