- 415g can black cherries in syrup, drained reserving syrup
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 4 strong black tea bags
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 750ml (3 cups) cold water
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Ice cubes, to serve
- Step 1Place the reserved syrup and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Use a small, sharp knife to scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan. Add the bean. Stir for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Stir in cherries. Cool completely.
- Step 2Meanwhile, combine tea bags and boiling water in a heatproof jug. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse. Discard the tea bags. Cool completely.
- Step 3Combine cherry mixture, tea, cold water, orange and ice cubes in a jug.
- Low fat
Top tip: Make this tea the night before and store it, covered in the fridge ready for when you wake up.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste