- 300ml pouring cream
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 5 egg yolks
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon raw caster sugar
- Step 1Preheat oven to 150C. Bring cream, milk and vanilla bean almost to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Step 2Remove vanilla bean. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the cream mixture. Discard the bean.
- Step 3Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar in a heatproof bowl until well combined.
- Step 4Whisk the cream mixture into the egg mixture. Strain into a jug. Divide among four 185ml ovenproof ramekins.
- Step 5Place ramekins in a roasting pan. Add boiling water to reach halfway up sides. Bake for 35 minutes or until just set.
- Step 6Cool slightly. Cover. Chill for 4 hours or until set. Sprinkle raw sugar over the custards. Use a blowtorch to caramelise.
- High protein
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
Don’t have a blowtorch? use a hot grill – just keep the sugar about 6cm from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until it caramelises.
- Author: Michelle Southan
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Australian Good Taste