- 450ml milk
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 80g butter
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 100g goat's cheese
- 2/3 cup (70g) finely grated parmesan
- 6 egg yolks
- 5 eggwhites
- 1 cup (250ml) thin cream
Pear, hazelnut and rocket salad
- 1/2 cup (75g) hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup (80ml) verjuice
- 3/4 cup (185ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil* (optional)
- 2 pears, cored, thinly sliced
- 60g rocket leaves
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease eight 200ml-capacity ovenproof ramekins. Combine the milk and bay leaves in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Gradually add hot milk mixture to the fl our mixture, stirring constantly until well combined. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Add goat’s cheese and 2 tablespoons of parmesan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until cheese melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Step 2Add the egg yolks to the cheese mixture, one at a time, whisking well between each addition. Use an electric mixer to whisk eggwhites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to add half the eggwhites to the cheese mixture and gently fold until just combined. Add remaining eggwhites and fold to combine.
- Step 3Spoon mixture evenly among the prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins in a roasting pan. Pour enough boiling water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and roasting pan and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Run a round-bladed knife around the inside edge of each mould to loosen souffles, then turn out on to the tray. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge to chill (see tip, below).
- Step 4To make the pear and rocket salad, spread the hazelnuts over an oven tray. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place hazelnuts in a clean tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Coarsely chop. Combine verjuice, olive and hazelnut oils in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the hazelnuts, pear and rocket in a bowl, then drizzle with half the dressing. Gently toss until just combined.
- Step 5Increase oven temperature to 200°C. Pour cream over and around each souffle and sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
- Step 6Arrange the souffles and salad on the serving dishes. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve immediately.
- Low carb
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
*Hazelnut oil is available at health food stores and specialty food stores. Tip: Souffles can be made up to the end of step 3 either in the morning or the day before the celebration.
- Author: Cynthia Black
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook: