- 145g (1 cup) macaroni pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup grated light tasty cheese
- 185g can tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup wholegrain breadcrumbs (see note)
- steamed vegetables, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to the boil.
- Step 3Remove from heat and stir in mustard, cheese, tuna, parsley and pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden. Serve with steamed vegetables.
To make 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, process 2 slices of day-old bread.
- Author: Kerrie Sun
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas