- 300g broccoli, trimmed, cut into small florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 625g packet fresh veal tortellini pasta
- 60g butter
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Place broccoli in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes or until tender, adding peas for the last minute. Drain. Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add 1/4 cup milk at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming. Return pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens. Add 1 cup cheese. Stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside 2/3 cup sauce.
- Step 3Place pasta, sauce, broccoli and peas in a 6 cup-capacity round ovenproof dish. Gently fold to combine. Top with reserved sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and remaining cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Low carb
You can freeze packaged fresh tortellini for up to 3 months or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days once opened.
- Author: Tracy Rutherford
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas