- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1.25L (5 cups) chicken stock
- 500g thin chicken sausages
- 100g spaghetti, broken into 5cm lengths
- Basil leaves, to serve
- Grated parmesan, to serve
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes and 21/2 cups (625ml) of the chicken stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes while you make the meatballs.
- Step 2For the chicken meatballs, place the remaining 2 1/2 cups (625ml) chicken stock in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Squeeze sausage meat from the casings and form into about 30 small (3cm) meatballs. Add the meatballs to the stock and simmer for 10 minutes until cooked through. Remove the meatballs to a plate with a slotted spoon, then return the stock to the boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, then drain, discarding the stock.
- Step 3Use a stick blender to blend the soup until smooth (or blend in batches in a blender, then return to the pan). Add the cooked spaghetti and meatballs to the soup and warm through gently for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Step 4Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with basil leaves and parmesan, then serve with bread.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au