- 1.5kg vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled (see notes), chopped
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups (500ml) malt vinegar
- 2 firmly packed cups (500g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- Step 1Place the tomato and onion in a bowl. Cover with salt and stand overnight at room temperature.
- Step 2The next day, drain any liquid, then place tomato mixture in a pan with 1 cup (250ml) vinegar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add sugar and chilli, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Step 3Mix flour, curry and mustard powders with remaining 1 cup (250ml) vinegar, then add to pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Pour hot relish into sterilised jars (see notes).
This will keep for up to 6 months in a sterilised jar in the fridge.
You can sterilise glass jars in the dishwasher on the hottest cycle, or alternatively, heat washed, dried jars and metal lids in a 120C oven for 20 minutes. Fill jars while still hot.
Begin this recipe a day ahead.
To peel tomatoes, score a cross in the base, then cover with boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh in iced water, then peel.
The nutritional information for this recipe is based on 12 servings.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste.com.au