- 275g (1 1/4 cups) pearl barley
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 150g piece speck, rind removed, cut into batons
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 110g (2/3 cup) frozen peas
- 60g (3/4 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- Finely grated parmesan, extra, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan forced. Spread the barley over a baking tray. Roast for 12-15 minutes or until toasted.
- Step 2Meanwhile, put the stock and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer.
- Step 3Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add speck. Cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir through rosemary and barley. Add wine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until wine is reduced. Add one-third of the stock mixture. Simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until stock is absorbed. Continue with the remaining stock mixture, in 2 more batches, until the barley is tender. Stir in the peas and parmesan. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the spinach leaves and extra parmesan.
- High fibre
- Low carb
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: Taste Magazine