- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup grated vintage cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 100g feta, crumbled (see note)
- Olive tapenade or spicy roasted capsicum dip, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced. Grease a 12 hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pan.
- Step 2Combine the flour, sugar, basil and onion in a bowl. Make a well in centre.
- Step 3Add milk, egg, oil, garlic, cheddar and parmesan. Mix until just combined. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in 2/3 feta. Spoon mixture evenly between holes of prepared pan.
- Step 4Top with remaining feta. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden and just firm to touch. Stand in pan for 2 minutes.
- Step 5Carefully turn onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cold with tapenade or dip.
Variation: You could replace feta with a mild blue cheese.
Muffins are best cooked on day of serving.
Avoid overmixing the muffin batter or it will result in a tough texture.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas