- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 500g sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 litre Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1/3 cup pure cream
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has softened. sweet potato. Add chilli flakes. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Step 2Add stock. Season with pepper. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Step 3Blend, in batches, until smooth. Return to pan over low heat. Add pure cream. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve.
You could replace chicken stock with beef, vegetable or salt-reduced stock.
Serve soup topped with fresh herbs, chilli flakes, pure cream, sour cream, croutons or cooked chopped bacon.
Serve soup with crusty bread, bread rolls or pappadums.
To blend soup, use a stick blender, jug blender or food processor.
Freezer tip: This soup is suitable to freeze after blending. Freeze flat in a snap-lock bag or spoon into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue recipe, adding extra stock if necessary.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas