- 400g sweet potato, peeled, chopped
- 265g (1 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 2 eggs
- 40g butter, melted, cooled
- 8 middle bacon rashers, rind removed
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Step 1Place the sweet potato in a saucepan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Season with salt. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to the pan. Mash until smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- Step 2Sift flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Make a well in the centre. Whisk the milk, eggs and butter in a jug. Add milk mixture and sweet potato to the well. Stir until smooth.
- Step 3Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil. Drop 1/3 cup batter into pan. Spread slightly. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface. Turn and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to make 12 pancakes.
- Step 4Spray the frying pan with oil. Cook the bacon, in 2 batches, turning, for 4 minutes or until browned and crisp. Transfer to a large plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 5Divide pancakes among plates. Top with bacon. Drizzle over maple syrup.
Super side: For a fabulous mash to go with grilled fish, mash sweet potato with a little coconut cream and chopped fresh coriander. Finish with a squeeze of lime.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Al Richardson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste