- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups White Wings self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 25g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- Step 1Whisk milk, egg and vanilla together in a jug. Sift flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Make a well in centre. Add milk mixture. Whisk until just combined. Stir in sweet chilli sauce, garlic, onion, peas and carrot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with butter. Using 1/4 cup mixture per pancake, cook 2 pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface. Turn and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture, brushing pan with butter between batches. Serve.
- High carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
Serve with: Sour cream and sweet chilli sauce.
Add 2 to 3 tablespoons extra milk if batter is too thick, or has thickened on standing.
To ‘freshen-up’ day-old pancakes, microwave, covered with paper towel, on medium-high (70%) for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until heated through.
Although all recipes call for 1 quantity Basic pancakes, some vary the Basic pancake ingredients, so check recipes before making.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas