Author Notes: I’ve been obsessed with this homemade spice rub lately- I’ve used a variation of it on ribs, roasted nuts, and now these wings. I went a little light on the chipotle chile powder (because I didn’t want to overwhelm my kids), but feel free to add some more if spicy is your thing. If it wasn’t raining, I probably would have grilled these, but they did very well in the oven (just please line your sheet pan with foil, folks). —WinnieAb
Sweet and Spicy Rubbed WingsPrint Recipe
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic freeze-dried coffee
- 1 teaspoon organic cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds organic chicken wings, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar through ginger. Stir well to combine.
- Place wings in a medium bowl. Pour the butter over the wings, then sprinkle the spice mix in, rubbing so that all the wings are completely covered.
- Spread the wings out onto a baking sheet that you’ve covered with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned and starting to crisp on top and at the edges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken Wings