- 750g lean beef mince
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 440g can pineapple pieces in natural juice
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- thin egg or Hokkien noodles, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs and egg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into small balls. Place on a large plate.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of meatballs. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, gently shaking pan often to brown meatballs evenly. Transfer to an 8-cup capacity, shallow casserole dish. Repeat with remaining two batches of mixture.
- Step 3Drain pineapple juice into a bowl. Add cornflour. Stir until smooth. Stir in vinegar, sugar, soy, tomato sauce, ginger, pineapple pieces and 1/2 cup water. Pour over meatballs.
- Step 4Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has slightly thickened. Arrange noodles in serving bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Serve.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Luke Burgess
- Publication: Super Food Ideas