- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef rump steak, trimmed, diced
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 400g can diced Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 80g baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- Cooked pasta or crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 2Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until carrot starts to brown. Return beef and juices to pan. Add flour and tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato and consomme. Cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Step 3Stir in capsicum. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Step 4Add peas, spinach and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until peas are heated through. Serve with pasta or bread.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
You can freeze half the casserole. Cook to end of step 3. Transfer half the mixture to an airtight container. Cool. Freeze for up to 3 months. Cook remaining casserole, adding half the peas, spinach and basil.
To reheat: Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Follow step 4 of recipe. Serve.
Super saver: Use 2 beef stock cubes in 2 cups boiling water instead of consomme and save around $2.08 in total.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas