- 200g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 300ml thickened cream, whipped
- 1/2 x 100g packet vanilla petite meringues, crushed
- 125g strawberries, hulled, sliced
- Icing sugar mixture, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven 180C/160C fan-forced. Line two 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Step 2Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in flour and milk. Divide mixture evenly between paper cases.
- Step 3Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand in pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Step 4Using a small sharp knife, cut a circle 2cm-deep x 3cm wide from top of each cake. Cut circles in half. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into each hole. Fold cream and meringue together. Spoon cream mixture over jam. Top with sliced strawberries. Arrange cake tops over cream to form wings. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Lower gi
So the meringue stays crunchy, make these cakes as close to serving time as possible.
- To make chocolate butterfly cakes, add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder with flour in step 2.
- Fill the butterfly cakes with different flavoured jams, lemon curd or passionfruit curd.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas