- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 300g beef rump steak, thinly sliced
- 1 large red onion, halved, cut into wedges
- 150g green beans, topped, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 large red capsicum, quartered, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Steamed rice, to serve
- 2 tablespoons unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped, to serve
- Step 1Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a wok over high heat. Add half the beef and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef, reheating the wok between batches.
- Step 2Wipe the wok clean. Heat remaining oil in the wok over high heat. Add the onion, beans, capsicum and 1 tablespoon of water, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the vegetables soften slightly.
- Step 3Add the beef, garlic, sugar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil and remaining water to the wok. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Step 4Divide the rice among serving bowls. Top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts to serve.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
((( Variations ))) Honey pork stir-fry with cashews: Replace the beef with 400g pork neck steaks, thinly sliced. Replace the beans with 150g broccoli, cut into florets. Replace the capsicum with 250g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1cm pieces. Replace the hoisin sauce with 2 tbs honey. Replace the peanuts with 2 tbs unsalted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped. Add 1 tbs oyster sauce with the garlic in step 3. Fruit & nut chicken stir-fry: Omit the peanuts. Replace the beef with 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced. Replace the capsicum with 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced diagonally. At the end of step 1, wipe the wok clean. Heat over high heat. Add 95g (1/2 cup) Fresh Life Bushies Blend Fruit, Nut & Seed Mix to the wok and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Transfer the fruit mixture to a heatproof bowl. Add to the wok with the chicken in step 3. Prawns & snow pea stir-fry: Omit the capsicum and peanuts. Replace the beef with 500g green prawns, peeled and deveined. Replace the beans with 300g snow peas, thickly sliced lengthways. Replace the hoisin sauce with 2 tbs oyster sauce. Add 2 tsp grated fresh ginger and 1 tbs fish sauce with the garlic in step 3. Stir in 2 tbs chopped fresh coriander to serve.
- Author: Kathy Knudsen
- Image credit: William Meppem
- Publication: Australian Good Taste