- 4 (about 150g each) fish fillets (John Dory or snapper), skin on
- 2.5cm piece ginger, cut into thin strips
- 8 shallots (spring onions), cut finely into 10cm lengths
- Sesame oil, to drizzle
- 170g can black beans, drained
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) black bean sauce
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) rice wine
- 20ml (1 tablespoon) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 350g snow peas
- Step 1Line a bamboo steamer with a sheet of baking paper and place the fish fillets on the base of steamer. Combine the ginger and shallots. Use half the mixture to spread over fillets; reserve remaining ginger and shallots. Season fish then drizzle with a little sesame oil.
- Step 2Place the black beans, black bean sauce, rice wine, soy and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, place the steamer over a pan of simmering water and cook fish for 5 minutes. Add the snow peas and reserved ginger and shallots and steam for a further minute. Place a bed of snow peas, ginger and shallots on each plate, top with the fish and drizzle with the black bean sauce.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au