- 4 x 150g chicken breast fillets
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine (shaohsing) (see note)
- 8cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 6 small dried shiitake mushrooms (see note), soaked in boiling hot water for 10 minutes, stalks removed, sliced
- 1 bunch baby (Dutch) carrots
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli (gai lan)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Spring onion, thinly sliced, to garnish
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Bamboo steamed
- Step 1Slice chicken on an angle and combine with wine, salt and plenty of freshly ground white pepper in a bowl. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes. Place chicken, overlapping, onto a heatproof plate. Scatter ginger and mushrooms over chicken. Place in a bamboo steamer and steam for 8-9 minutes or until cooked. If you have a multi-layered steamer, place carrots and chopped broccoli on a plate on top of chicken for the last 3 minutes of chicken cooking time until just tender (otherwise blanch in boiling water).
- Step 2Divide chicken, carrots and broccoli among serving plates. Drizzle oil over top and scatter with onion and coriander.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Chinese rice wine (shaohsing) and dried shiitake mushrooms are available from Asian food shops.
- Author: Olivia Andrews
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley & Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Taste.com.au