- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 3 carrots, peeled, finely shredded
- 1 beetroot, peeled, finely shredded
- 4 x 200g scotch fillet steaks
- 4 pieces Turkish bread, split, toasted
- 1/3 cup good-quality mayonnaise*
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- Step 1Whisk 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, garlic and mustard together in a bowl, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Add shredded carrots and beetroot. Toss to combine. Cover. Refrigerate until required.
- Step 2Season steaks to taste. Heat remaining oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook for 5 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer steaks to a plate. Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Spread bases of Turkish bread pieces with a little mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, steaks and beetroot salad. Sandwich with Turkish bread tops and serve immediately.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
* We like the S&W whole-egg and Thomy varieties of mayonnaise. Cook’s tip: A Japanese mandolin is an inexpensive tool, available from Asian food stores, that makes light work of slicing vegetables into fine, even shreds. Alternatively, use the coarse side of a grater.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Andrew Lehmann
- Publication: Notebook: