- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons rice bran oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 long fresh green chillies, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 teaspoons Jeeny's Roasted Shrimp Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 (about 250g) ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 x 270ml cans coconut milk
- Chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Sliced fresh green chilli, extra, to serve
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- Step 1Place eggs in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes. Cool under cold water. Peel.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the onion for 8 minutes or until golden. Stir in chilli, garlic, ginger, curry leaves, curry powder, shrimp paste, turmeric and fennel for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic. Add tomato. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until curry thickens.
- Step 3Add the eggs. Cook for 2 minutes. Season. Sprinkle with coriander and extra chilli. Serve with rice.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Try this: For a milder curry, omit the green chillies, or halve and remove the seeds before chopping.
- Author: Sonja Bernyk & Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons & Al Richardson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste