- 2 bunches English spinach, trimmed and washed
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) fresh ricotta
- 1 cup (100g) Greek feta
- 1/3 cup (25g) coarsely grated parmesan
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (40g) toasted pine nuts
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 3 filo pastry sheets
- Step 1Preheat oven to 170C. Lightly grease a baking dish. Blanch the spinach for a couple of minutes in boiling water until wilted then refresh under cold water. Drain and use your hands to squeeze as much excess liquid as possible from the spinach before chopping.
- Step 2Place spinach in a large bowl. Add the ricotta, feta, parmesan, onion, eggs, pine nuts and salt and pepper, and mix until well combined. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Step 3Place filo sheets on a clean work surface. Lay the pastry sheets on top of each other, spraying with a little oil spray between each layer. Cut into squares, approximately 10cm in size. Scrunch each square into a rough ball and place on top of the spinach mixture, arranging them in rough rows. Spray with a little extra oil spray.
- Step 4Cook for 35-40 minutes or until fully set and pastry is golden. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
You will probably need to cover the pie with foil after 10 minutes to avoid the filo going too brown.
- Author: Kate Murdoch
- Image credit: Oliver Ford
- Publication: Taste.com.au