- 1kg orange sweet potato, unpeeled
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Sour cream, to serve
- Step 1Cut sweet potato into 8cm lengths. Cut each piece into wedges. Layer potato between sheets of paper towel to remove excess moisture. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Heat oil in a wok or large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Deep-fry wedges, in batches, until potato rises to the surface but does not colour. Using a slotted spoon, transfer wedges to a tray lined with paper towel. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Step 3Reheat oil. Deep-fry wedges, in batches, for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Transfer to a bowl. Add chilli and salt. Toss to coat. Serve with sour cream.
About this recipe: Oil is hot enough when a cube of bread dropped into the oil sizzles. Cooking the chips twice results in a crisp coating on the outside of the chip and a light, fluffy inside.
- Author: Kim Coverdale
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas