- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 baby fennels, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 300ml white wine
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimenton), plus extra to serve
- 1kg pot-ready mussels
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- Step 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the white wine and bring to the boil. Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato paste and paprika, then simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Step 2Add the mussels, cover the pan, increase the heat to high and cook for 2 minutes. Give the pan a big shake and look inside. If some mussels have not yet opened, cover and simmer for a further 1 minute. Discard any mussels that are still closed.
- Step 3Divide mussels and sauce among shallow bowls and sprinkle with coriander, chilli, extra paprika and some black pepper.
- Low carb
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Taste.com.au