- 10 (750g) Italian-style pork sausages
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 575g jar napoletana pasta sauce
- 50g baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- Step 1Squeeze meat from sausage casings into a bowl. Using damp hands, roll tablespoons of meat into balls. Place on a plate.
- Step 2Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs. Cook, turning, for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining meatballs (see note). Add mushrooms to pan. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Step 3Add pasta sauce. Bring to the boil. Return meatballs to pan. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Stir in spinach. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- Step 4Meanwhile, combine couscous, boiling water and remaining oil in a large heatproof bowl. Cover. Stand for 5 minutes or until liquid has absorbed. Using a fork, stir to separate grains.
- Step 5Divide couscous between plates. Top with meatball mixture. Serve.
- High fibre
- Low carb
Drain excess fat from pan after cooking each batch of meatballs.
Variation: You could serve meatball mixture over cooked pasta.
- Author: Jenny Fanshaw
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas