- 1.5kg chicken wings
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Celery sticks, to serve
Blue cheese dip
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as a Danish blue, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3 tablespoons milk
- 80g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce (see note)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Step 1Make Blue Cheese Dip: Using a fork, mash the blue cheese and sour cream together until smooth and combined. Add mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and enough milk to form a thick sauce. Season with pepper. Cover. Refrigerate until required.
- Step 2Remove and discard wing tips from chicken. Cut chicken wings in half at the joint. Combine flour, paprika and salt in a bowl. Season with pepper. Coat wings in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Step 3Pour enough oil into a large saucepan or wok to come 5cm up the side. Heat over high heat (oil should reach 180ºC). Deep-fry wings, in three batches, turning, for 10 minutes or until dark golden brown and crispy. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
- Step 4Meanwhile, Make Buffalo Sauce: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Whisk in sauce, sugar and salt.
- Step 5Place wings in a bowl. Pour over Buffalo Sauce. Toss to coat. Serve immediately with Blue Cheese Dip and celery sticks.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Buffalo Wings are traditionally made using Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce, an American chilli sauce. It’s available at most supermarkets. Don’t worry if you can’t find it, just use any chilli sauce you like – you can even use Sriracha!
- Author: Nagi Maehashi
- Image credit: Nagi Maehashi
- Publication: Super Food Ideas