- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 750g lean beef mince
- 140g tub tomato paste
- 375g chunky salsa (see Notes)
- 4 burrito tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 1 bunch English spinach, washed, finely chopped
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 22cm base measurement cake pan.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion for 3 minutes or until tender. Add coriander and cumin. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic. Increase heat to high. Add mince, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until browned. Stir in tomato paste and salsa. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Step 3Place 1 tortilla in base of cake pan. Spoon one-third of cooled mince mixture over tortilla. Sprinkle one-third of cheese over mince, then one-third of spinach. Top with another tortilla. Repeat layers twice more, ending with a tortilla.
- Step 4Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and top tortilla is golden. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Step 5Place avocado and lemon juice into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Step 6Remove tortilla from pan. Place onto serving plate. Sprinkle with coriander leaves. Serve with avocado mixture.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Note: Choose a jar of mild, medium or hot salsa, depending on how hot your dad (and the rest of the family!) likes his Mexican food.
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas