- 1 x 440g pkt flat rice noodles
- 80ml (1/3 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 60ml (1/4 cup) hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 bunch broccolini, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved crossways, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- Step 1Prepare the noodles following packet directions. Combine the stock, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger and Chinese five spice in a small bowl.
- Step 2Heat a wok over high heat. Add half the oil and heat until smoking. Swirl to coat. Add the mince and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the mince changes colour. Transfer to a plate. Heat the remaining oil in the wok. Add the broccolini, capsicum and carrot. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the broccolini is bright green and tender crisp.
- Step 3Add the stock mixture, mince, noodles and shallot to the wok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until the noodles are soft and heated through. Divide among serving bowls to serve.
- Low carb
With a twist: Stir-fried chicken with oyster sauce: Omit Chinese five spice. Replace the hoisin sauce with oyster sauce. Replace the mince with chicken stir-fry strips. Replace capsicum with 2 zucchini. Replace carrot with 1 celery stick, thinly sliced. Add the zucchini with the noodles in step 3.
- Author: Nadia French
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste