- 2 (about 750g) lamb shanks, French trimmed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 2 tablespoons pearl barley
- 3 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried red lentils
- 2 teaspoons mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 rounds Lebanese bread
- Olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika, extra
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Step 1Place the lamb shanks, stock, water and barley in a large saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Step 2Add the carrot, celery, lentils, paprika, cinnamon and turmeric. Season with pepper. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until the lamb is very tender. Add the lemon and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Remove the lamb shanks and lemon from the soup. Discard the lemon. Finely shred the lamb meat and add to the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Preheat grill on high. Divide the bread among 2 baking trays. Cook under grill for 1 minute or until golden. Turn the bread over and spray with oil. Sprinkle with extra paprika and sesame seeds. Cook under grill for 1 minute or until crisp and golden. Break bread into large pieces. Divide soup among serving bowls and serve with bread.
- High protein
- Low fat
- Low kilojoule
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Australian Good Taste