- 700g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 375g penne rigate
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 100g baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Parmesan, or vegetarian hard cheese, shaved, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Arrange pumpkin on baking tray. Spray with oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Drain. Cover.
- Step 3Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, cumin and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add chickpeas and pumpkin. Cook, tossing, for 2 minutes. Using the back of a wooden spoon, lightly crush 1/4 of the chickpeas.
- Step 4Add stock and spinach to pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, for 3 to 4 minutes or until spinach just wilts. Add pasta and parsley. Toss until heated through. Divide pasta among serving bowls. Top with parmesan. Serve.
- Diabetes friendly
- Heart friendly
- High carb
- High fibre
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Claire Brookman
- Image credit: Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas