- 1 1/2 cups (225g) whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) white spelt flour
- 3/4 cup (155g) brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (100g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (150g) dried pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 3/4 cup (185ml) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup (80ml) honey
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of two 8 x 20cm loaf pans.
- Step 2Combine the spelt flours, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the walnuts and dates and stir to combine.
- Step 3Combine the banana, oil, eggs and honey in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Pour into the prepared pans and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Step 4Transfer the loaves to a wire rack and set aside to cool. Use a large serrated knife to cut into slices. Serve the banana bread warm, at room temperature or toasted with butter, if desired.
You will need approximately 4 large over-ripe bananas for this recipe.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Notebook: