- 1 sheet frozen ready-rolled quiche pastry, partially thawed
- 400g packet baby potatoes with butter and herbs (see note)
- 2 (120g each) chorizo sausages, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm (base) loose-based, fluted flan tin. Line with pastry. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Place tin on a baking tray. Line pastry case with baking paper. Fill with ceramic pie weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are light golden. Remove weights or rice and paper.
- Step 2Meanwhile, microwave potatoes following packet directions. Thickly slice.
- Step 3Reduce oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomato and half the potato (cover remaining potato to keep warm). Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tomato starts to soften. Remove from heat.
- Step 4Spoon chorizo mixture into pastry case. Crack whole eggs over mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until just set. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with salad leaves and remaining potatoes.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Baby potatoes with butter and herbs are available in packets in the refrigerated section of larger supermarkets. Super saver: Replace chorizo with 6 rashers middle bacon, trimmed and chopped, and save around $1.07 in total.
- Author: Kirrily La Rosa
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Super Food Ideas