- 6 large slices (about 320g) crusty Italian bread
- 8 truss tomatoes, quartered, seeded, pulp reserved
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 chorizo sausages, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves
- Step 1Toast the bread until golden. Set aside to cool. Tear into coarse pieces.
- Step 2Meanwhile, use a stick blender to blend reserved pulp. Strain into a bowl, reserving 60ml (1/4 cup) tomato juice. Discard seeds. Stir the oil and vinegar into the tomato juice.
- Step 3Cook half the chorizo in a large frying pan over medium heat for 3 minutes each side or until golden. Repeat with remaining chorizo.
- Step 4Add bread to dressing and toss to coat. Add tomato, chorizo and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Serves 6 as a side.
More ideas: To seed the tomatoes, after cutting them into quarters, scoop out the pulp with a teaspoon.
Make the famous Spanish summer soup – gazpacho. Process tomatoes, bread, shallot, red wine vinegar, garlic and a pinch of sugar. Serve in shot glasses.
- Author: Gemma Luongo
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste