- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (100g) chorizo sausage, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 bunch silverbeet
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo for 2 minutes or until crisp. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Add tomato, chickpeas, stock and 2 cups cold water. Bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, stirring, for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Step 2Remove stems from silverbeet (see related article). Finely shred leaves. Add to pan. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes or until leaves have wilted. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with bread.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Note 1: You could also add silverbeet stems. Chop and add to pan with stock in step 1.
Note 2: You could use 4 cups salt-reduced chicken stock instead of 2 cups stock and 2 cups cold water. Wash silverbeet well to remove any traces of dirt.
- Author: Lucy Nunes
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas