- 1 tablespoon light flavour extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken marylands
- 1 large brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
- 185ml (3/4 cup) dry sherry
- 185ml (3/4 cup) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 strips orange rind
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 95g (1/2 cup) kalamata olives
- Fresh continental parsley leaves, to serve
- 85g (1/2 cup) blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh continental parsley leaves
- 60ml (1/4 cup) light flavour extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Food processor
- Step 1Heat oil in a shallow flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Season chicken. Cook, in 2 batches, turning occasionally, for 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 2Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onion, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add capsicum and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add sherry. Simmer for 2 minutes or until reduced. Stir in stock, juice, tomato, rind, thyme and bay leaves. Return chicken to dish. 3 Stir saffron into dish. Cook over low heat, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Add olives. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Step 3Meanwhile, for the picada, process almonds and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. Add parsley. Process until combined. Combine oil, vinegar and water in a jug. With motor running, add the oil mixture in a slow steady stream until a paste forms. Season.
- Step 4Top chicken with half the picada. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with the remaining picada.
- Low carb
- Lower gi
2 days ahead
Cook the chicken, reducing the cooking time from 1 hour to 45 minutes and omitting the olives. Cool to room temperature, then place in the fridge in the casserole dish or an airtight container. Also make the picada and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
On the night
Heat chicken in the casserole dish, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until warmed through. Add the olives and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Serve with the picada.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine