Author Notes: The traditional Greek Spiniach Pie, in a more manageable form. Easy to make, easy to share, easy to eat! —Stefano Coppola
Food52 Review: An easy to prepare and delicious take on a traditional Greek dish. These spanakopita are the perfect size for a light lunch on-the-go, an afternoon snack or hearty party fare. They freeze well, which provides a nice make-ahead option for the busy host or hostess. The addition of chopped herbs after the spinach has cooked and cooled results in delightfully fresh and lively bites of oregano, basil and parsley in the crispy baked pies. One quick tip — do not melt all of your butter at once — one half cup was all I needed for the entire batch. – Jennifer Ann —The Editors
sheets phyllo dough
cups butter, melted
ounces (usually 2 bunches) fresh spinach
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
clove garlic, thinly sliced
splashes white wine
ounces feta cheese, crumbled
cup grated parmesan
sprigs each oregano, basil, parsely- chopped
tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt & pepper
- Saute garlic and spinach in olive oil, add wine to steam spinach. Cool. preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Squeeze excess liquid from spinach and put in a mixing bowl. Mix in herbs, cheeses, lemon juice, egg, and season with salt and pepper.
- Line baking sheet with parchment papper. Gently unfold the phyllo dough. Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on a large cutting board and gently brush with the melted butter. Place a second phyllo sheet on top of the first and brush with butter. Repeat 2 more times until you have a stack of 4 phyllo sheets with butter brushed between the layers.
- Cut the phyllo sheets lengthwise into 3 strips. Place 2 tablespoons of the spinach filling 1 inch from the bottom end of each strip. Fold the right corner over the spinach filling to the left to make a triangle. Gently pull up the bottom left corner and fold up to make a second triangle. Continue folding until you reach the top. Brush the last fold with butter to seal.
- Continue until all phyllo is used. Place triangles on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake about 15 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. Cool slightly before serving.