- 250g spaghetti
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, grated
- 500g lean beef mince
- 150g button mushrooms, sliced
- 700ml tomato passata sauce
- 40g butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease an 8 cup-capacity baking dish.
- Step 2Break pasta into 3 equal portions. Cook in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions until tender. Drain. Return to pan.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add mushroom and sauce. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 4Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat for 2 minutes or until melted and foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles. Remove pan from heat. Slowly add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps forming. Return pan to medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in cheese.
- Step 5Add mince mixture to spaghetti. Toss to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Pour flour mixture over pasta. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve with salad leaves.
- Low carb
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas