- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150g pork and veal mince
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 3 celery stalks, trimmed, finely diced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons pizza sauce with herbs
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 375g spaghetti
- Shaved parmesan cheese, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Step 2Add carrot, celery, tomato, sauce and 1 2/3 cups cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in lentils.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions, until tender. Drain.
- Step 4Divide pasta between bowls. Top with bolognaise and parmesan. Serve.
- Heart friendly
- High fibre
- Low cholesterol
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
To freeze: Cool sauce. Transfer to an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To thaw: Thaw sauce in fridge overnight. Transfer to a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 15 minutes or until heated through.
To make this meal more toddler-friendly, use 375g dried spiral or penne pasta instead of spaghetti.
- Author: Michelle Noerianto
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas